Did you know an estimated 47,500 crashes in Louisiana involved alcohol? These crashes killed 447 people and injured 21,100! If you have unfortunately been the victim of an accident caused by an intoxicated driver, you are permitted by law to recover punitive damages.
What are punitive damages?
Punitive damages are damages awarded against the intoxicated driver in addition to medical costs, lost earnings, disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life, and pain and suffering. This includes drivers under the influence of a narcotic or other medication that causes impairment. You, as the victim, are entitled to sue for punitive damages and we can help build a strong case to get you what you deserve!
The victim does not have to prove the driver was drunk to recover punitive damages; only that he/she had enough intoxicants to lose normal control of their mental and physical abilities. The law requires proof of three elements when recovering punitive damages:
1. Driver was intoxicated enough to lose control of mental and physical abilities;
2. The intoxication was a “cause-in-fact” injury; and
3. Reckless disregard for the safety of others.
“Cause-in-fact” means the driver’s impairment was a substantial factor, or had something to do with, the victim’s injury.
How J. Price McNamara Can Help You
Our law offices want to help you succeed in regaining your life after a traumatic accident. To help you claim what you deserve, we:
- Gather expert toxicologists able to efficiently battle opposing toxicologists on the defense.
- Only take a certain number of cases at any given time to give complete and personalized attention to your very important case.
- Take pride in helping Louisiana victims recover what was lost from the accident.
- Conduct all representation in line with our high peer review rating of “AV,” the highest rating law firms can get.
Contact The Law Offices of J. Price McNamara in Baton Rouge
For effective lawyers experienced in helping Louisiana injury and accident victims, call our office! We limit our caseload to give more individualized attention to each and every case. Your initial consultation will be free, including any questions you have and a comprehensive case review. There is no obligation to hire The Law Offices of J. Price McNamara; the consultation serves to simply give you more information on your case. We want to help you recover what you are entitled to by law. Call us today: (225) 201-8311.
Following graduation from Loyola Law School in New Orleans in 1990, Price McNamara served as a Federal Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable John M Shaw, Chief Judge, United States District Court Western District of Louisiana.
Mr. McNamara founded the Law Offices of J. Price McNamara, and began putting his past experience to work for the injured and disabled clients he now represents against the insurance companies in personal injury and long term disability and other insurance disputes in both federal and state courts