PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER BATON ROUGE, LA
Personal injuries can devastate your life, as well as the lives of your family members, friends, and other loved ones. However, courts, regulations and laws exist to help provide a means to compensate victims injured by the negligence of another. Here are ten important tips from personal injury attorneys to help deal with vehicle accidents.
1) Know the basic laws for personal injury. Personal injuries are wrongful physical/psychological injuries or wrongful deaths, that happen because of another person’s harmful acts. These injuries can be intentional or accidental. Drivers and passengers are usually the victims of personal injuries in car accidents, but pedestrians can be harmed, as well.
2) Act quickly. The law limits the time you have to file a claim or seek compensation for your injuries. Consequently, if you decide to seek legal help from a personal injury attorney, you should do so as soon as possible.
3) Know your responsibilities. Whether you’re a pedestrian, driver, or passenger, there are ways you can protect yourself and others. Do a little research and find out what you can do to keep yourself and your loved ones safe.
4) Make sure you have adequate automobile insurance. Be sure you are covered in the event that you are involved in an accident with an underinsured or uninsured motorist. Find out what your insurance coverage pays for. Do you have insurance that will cover you if another party is at fault for an accident? Are you covered if you are at fault for an accident? Be sure you have enough coverage to pay for an accident if you were to damage a more expensive car, or if your vehicle is not paid for yet.
5) Notify relevant parties of accidents in a timely manner. Notify the Louisiana State Police, as they are responsible for investigating all accidents resulting in personal injury. Notify your insurance carrier as well, as soon as you can.
6) Never leave the scene of the accident. Make sure all vehicle ignitions are turned off. Oncoming traffic should also be notified. Move to safety if you are in a dangerous spot.
7) Call the police immediately. Do not delay or skip this step. Ask for an ambulance if there are injuries. Sometimes police can corroborate your story if they are called to the scene in a timely manner. Render any first aid in which you have been trained.
8) Be sure to write down all important information. Record names, addresses, and license plate numbers of all parties involved, including any witnesses. Even though it may seem, inconsequential, write down the date and time of the accident, your location, the position of involved vehicles, and current weather conditions. These facts and your first hand knowledge directly after the accident could be vital in your case.
9) Request a crash report form from the police officer who investigated your accident. If the trooper fails to provide the proper form to you after your accident, you can get one online or pick one up at your local police station. The cost for a crash report is around $7.50.
10) Get the best attorney for your needs. As with most things that matter, you get what you pay for in most cases. Bargain basement attorneys may offer better rates, but may not get you the results you need and deserve. For things as important as your personal injury legal case, you would never want your legal team to cut corners, so you should get the best quality attorney for your case.
Get Help From The Experienced Team At J. Price McNamara
You need the best attorney for your case that knows how to navigate the legal system. Don’t settle for a bargain basement attorney who may not know the complexities of Louisana State law. J. Price McNamara, has proudly represented Baton Rouge and Metairie, LA personal injury clients for many years. And because of his exemplary service in the legal field, he has been rated “AV” by his peers. If you or someone you know has been injured by another party’s negligence, call us to schedule a no-obligation consultation! We are standing by to answer your questions and help get you started resolving your case. Call us today at (225)201-8311.