If you were in an accident and sustained injuries, don’t face the challenges ahead alone. At the Law Offices of J. Price McNamara, we can help you with the various medical, legal, and financial issues that often come with serious injuries. Protect your rights by hiring a Gretna personal injury lawyer to work by your side. He can help you receive the compensation you deserve.
Helping You Receive Just Compensation for Your Injuries
Personal injury cases are unique, and each depends on a number of factors that determine the amount of compensation you can receive. You may be wondering what type of injury qualifies as a personal injury claim, as well as how you can know whether you have a lawsuit or not. An experienced Gretna personal injury lawyer can examine your case and help you move forward with your personal injury claim.
Types of Damages You May Be Able to Receive
Whatever the injury you are dealing with, chances are you are feeling stressed about how to care for your expenses. A Gretna personal injury lawyer can help you recover monetary damages for the following:
- medical expenses
- lost wages
- pain and suffering
Injuries Caused by Negligence
Negligence occurs when a person fails to fulfill their duty of care. Duty of care refers to the obligation people have to look out for the safety of other people in daily life. If someone is negligent and you suffer injuries as a result, you may be able to recover damages.
Most personal injury claims involve car accidents. Personal injury claims involving car accidents come with some legal challenges. For example, you have to determine who is at fault, as well as get insurance companies to pay the claim. If you were the passenger, you may be able to file a claim against the driver’s insurance company. Even if you were the driver and partially at fault, you could still have a personal injury case.
When business owners are negligent to the safety of their employees, this may cause work-related injuries. Business owners have a duty to make sure that the workplace is safe. This may mean providing:
- hard hats in areas where using a hard hat would be appropriate
- protective equipment in areas where employees may be handling dangerous chemicals
Other work-related injuries may include fall injuries, for example:
- if there is unattended water on the floor
- if a platform lacks proper securing with a railing or banister
For injuries sustained in a work-related incident, you may file a claim with Workers’ Compensation.
Slip and Fall Accidents
Just as business owners have a duty of care to their employees, so property owners have a duty of care to anyone who may be on their property and suffer injury as the result of potential hazards. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be able to recover damages in the following situations:
- The property owner knew about the hazard but failed to do anything about it.
- The property owner claims that they did know about the hazard, but someone similarly situated would have known about it.
Dog Bite Accidents
With dog bite injuries, liability usually falls on the dog owner. This is true regardless of whether the injury occurred on your property or public property. Sometimes, the dog owner is liable even if the injury occurred on the owner’s property. Your Gretna personal injury lawyer will help you in determining how much compensation you can receive in a dog bite injury claim.
In a medical malpractice claim, you must prove that the medical professional involved provided incompetent or unreasonable medical care. Your Gretna personal injury lawyer will examine the standard of care exercised and look for three major things:
1) Lack of Informed Consent
A medical malpractice claim based on lack of informed consent must prove that:
- The medical professional did not fully inform the patient of the benefits and risks of a certain medical procedure, or
- The medical professional performed a procedure on a patient against his or her wishes.
2) Mistakes in Treatment
A medical malpractice claim based on mistakes in treatment must meet two elements:
- The medical professional made a mistake in the treatment of the patient’s condition; and,
- A reasonable, competent doctor would not have made the mistake in treatment.
3) Improper Diagnosis
A medical malpractice claim based on improper diagnosis must meet similar elements:
- The diagnosis was made improperly; and,
- A reasonable, competent doctor with the same information would not have made the same mistake andwould have made the correct diagnosis.
If necessary, your Gretna personal injury lawyer will retain a medical expert from the appropriate field to review your case and determine how much compensation you can receive.
Defective Product Injuries
If injury or death resulted from a defective product, you may have a personal injury claim against the manufacturer. Here are some examples of defective products:
- faulty brakes on your car
- malfunctioning medical product or device
- playground equipment
Contact a Gretna Personal Injury Lawyer for Help With Your Claim
Dealing a serious injury is difficult enough. Don’t try to battle the legal and financial issues that come with it alone. Call the Law Offices of J. Price McNamara today to speak to an experienced Gretna personal injury lawyer who can help you with your claim.