In previous blog postings, we discussed a variety of “crazy or ridiculous” lawsuits. We also discussed if parties could file a lawsuit 12 years later. This week’s post is a further addition to the list of ridiculous lawsuits that were addressed in 7 Crazy Lawsuits And 1 Legitimate One. In the most recent addition to ridiculous lawsuits, a man from Krasnoyarsk, Russia, is suing Bethesda Softworks for his addition to a video game. Evidently, the man didn’t know Fallout 4 would be “so addictive”. The Bethesda, MD, gaming company has yet to comment on the lawsuit, but one can imagine their legal department is already preparing for a very strong defense.
According to court documents, the man saw an advertisement for the game and decided to download it. He anticipated spending a few hours playing the game over the next few days. However, “…those days quickly turned into weeks, and after missing several days of work, he was fired from his job. His friends stopped hearing from him, his sleeping and eating habits deteriorated and his wife left him.” Officials say the man is seeking $7,000 in damages.
Fortunately, most lawsuits that are filed are not as ridiculous as the one listed above. Let’s assume you would like to initiate a personal injury lawsuit for a legitimate reason. Here are some frequently asked questions to help you navigate the first steps in a personal injury legal claim.
I was hurt in an accident. What should I do first?
1) According to experts, the first thing that you should always do after being injured in an accident is to seek attention for any possible injuries. This usually means seeing a medical expert to ascertain the extent of your injuries. You should also be aware that some injuries will not be visible to the naked eye and may need x-rays or cat scans.
2) Collect any and all evidence that shows who caused the accident. This could mean writing down the events as you remember them, filming the scene, or taking pictures. If you are injured and unable to do this, you should see if a friend or family member would be willing to do it for you.
3) Get the names and contact information of any witnesses that may have seen the accident. Be sure to verify their contact information to ensure it is current and legitimate.
4) Write down the specific things that were damaged in the accident and take photos of the damage caused by the accident.
5) Make a list of everything that happened to you after the accident and any expenses involved. This will likely include medical bills, hospital stays, lost work or wages, etc. Copies of these bills will likely be necessary to recover for your injuries.
6) Speak to a qualified and experienced attorney. This step is critical since finding the right attorney for your case could make the difference between wining your case and ending up paying expenses for an accident that you did not cause.
Do I have to file my lawsuit within a certain amount of time?
Personal injury claims can take years to resolve and there are time limits detailed in the statute of limitations for whatever state you live in. In order to get compensation for your injuries, you must file your claim in a timely manner. If you fail to file your lawsuit within the appropriate time period, you may be barred from ever bringing suit to recover for your injuries. You should always do a check on the statute of limitations for your type of claim in your state to be sure that the time period has not expired.
Want an experienced and qualified legal representation for your personal injury lawsuit? If so, you need to contact the Law Offices of J. Price McNamara. Attorney J. Price McNamara and his skilled legal team have made a difference in the lives of Baton Rouge, LA clients for decades. If you want to get the compensation you deserve for your injuries, contact our office for your free case review. Call us now to get started.
Whether you’re in Baton Rouge, New Orleans, or anywhere in greater Louisiana, J. Price McNamara and
his legal support team are focused on building a strong case for you. Explore our locations below.